The Grange School was founded as an English school in Chile, initially adhering to the educational system of the country. Over the years, it became part of the Chilean system while maintaining strong British roots. This led to the emergence of interculturality, contributing richness to the identity that characterizes the school to this day.
An essential characteristic is the blend of tradition and innovation, leading to a continual quest for answers to new challenges and demands in an evolving and globalized society while preserving its distinctive hallmark.
At the beginning of the 20th century in England, Public Schools held significant prestige not only for the academic education they provided but specifically for the ethical and moral upbringing instilled in their students. A Public School was a privately funded secondary school, typically with boarding facilities, following British tradition but open to the wider community (public only in that sense).
Much of the success of the British Empire was attributed to the character strength and camaraderie instilled in those educated in such institutions. Integrity, autonomy, responsibility, loyalty, and respect for traditions, authorities, and the country were highly emphasized among the students. These schools molded true gentlemen, encompassing the broadest and most traditional sense of the term.
Most of these schools were boarding schools, thus providing education throughout the day. Far from concluding with the academic schedule, they organized social and sports activities aimed at developing social skills and instilling universal values of Western culture. Discipline (often rigorous), etiquette, and socially appropriate behavior were of paramount importance in the students' formation, with teachers taking on responsibilities that are considered parental roles in modern times.
The environment resembled that of a large family, with strong military traditions. Even older students were entrusted with responsibilities to help maintain order and discipline. Physical punishment was a significant part of the educational arsenal. Games, competitions, and sports served as genuine "social laboratories" and were also considered educational tools.
In summary, in a Public School, "education" encompassed a broad concept aimed at preparing students to behave correctly in society and to act respecting Western values—especially responsibility, respect, loyalty, and courage—thereby consolidating unwavering support for the British Empire, vital in times of war. Undoubtedly, as part of the then-primary power's state policy, schools with these characteristics were founded in various countries worldwide.
John A. S. Jackson, a Chilean born in 1898 in Valparaíso to a family of British origin, completed his secondary education at Cheltenham College, England, a typical English Public School. He attended the University of Cambridge and returned to Chile with the idea of founding a school based on the same educational principles he experienced, aimed at preparing English-speaking children to attend public schools in England.
Thus, on June 4, 1928, he founded The Grange School. It started with 12 children, children of British immigrants, in a private house on Av. Pedro de Valdivia called "Villa Angela," based on the principles of Fair Play, All Rounder, Good Manners, and Spirit of Service. The school aimed to provide comprehensive education, emphasizing the harmonious and complete development of individuals, fostering excellence and integrity in intellectual, moral, artistic, athletic, and social aspects of the students.
The global financial crisis of 1929 affected many parents, compelling them to continue their children's education in Chile. Additionally, the acceptance of Chilean and Anglo-Chilean students necessitated the creation of an educational model that included elements of the local curriculum, combined with the British model.
By 1932, extracurricular activities were developed, including athletics, boxing, swimming, diving, football, hockey, rugby, and cross-country.
In 1936, The Grange School Corporation was created to raise funds for a new building, as the original house became insufficient.
An additional loan was requested from the Banco de Chile, requiring a guarantee. John A. S. Jackson responded that his guarantee was "the men I am shaping for Chile's future." The loan was granted.
On July 16, 1937, the first Gryphon was published, an annual magazine highlighting the main activities during the school year.
In 1938, with 300 students, including 120 boarders, the School moved to its current location on Av. Príncipe de Gales, next to the Prince of Wales Country Club.
In 1941, the Preparatory School opened, operating in Providencia with 45 students. The previous year, the School was divided into two groups; Blues and Greys.
In 1951, the Parents' Association (APA) was formed. The following year saw the first study tour to Northern Chile.
1954 saw the Prep School move to Príncipe de Gales, with Miss Georgina Cooper as the Headmistress.
On the morning of March 13, 1958, John A. S. Jackson passed away.
In 1961, the 14th Fire Company took the name "J.A.S Jackson."
In 1966, seventh and eighth grade replaced the first and second year of "Humanities."
In 1967, the boarding system was closed as its continuity became economically unsustainable, a decision made with considerable pain, as it was a characteristic element of The Grange School.
Simultaneously, the number of enrolled students in the School began to expand due to increased demand for attendance.
1971 brought a significant change to the School: it became co-educational by merging with the female school Dunalastair. During this period in history, due to economic instability and governmental pressure to occupy the entire capacity of the School, the number of male and female students increased significantly, reaching 2,500 divided into two study sessions.
The source of the above information is The Grange School https://grange.cl/about/policy-documents/
Video source: The Grange School